Whether visiting a shopping mall, hospital, restaurant, college campus or other busy establishment, parking lots can be more dangerous than you think. An incident can happen when you least expect it and leave you with serious injuries.
The Walnut Creek, CA attorneys at Clancy & Diaz discuss the most prevalent causes of parking lot injuries and the parties that are likely responsible. If you were hurt in a parking lot, one of our attorneys can help you pursue a claim.
What are the leading causes of injuries in parking lots?
The leading causes of parking lot injuries that are linked to negligence or recklessness include:
- Car accidents – Parking lot car accidents generally occur at low speeds, but that doesn’t mean injuries can’t occur. Motorists can still sustain injuries from side impact, head-on collisions and rear-end crashes.
- Pedestrian accidents – Pedestrians are especially at risk of sustaining injuries in parking lots. That’s because drivers are often distracted by cellphones or people and objects outside of their cars. Pedestrians are also at risk of being hit by drivers backing out of parking spaces.
- Slip, trip and fall accidents – Visitors are at risk of slip, trip and fall accidents when parking lots and walking areas aren’t properly maintained. Falls can occur due to unaddressed potholes, uneven surfaces, cracks, debris, spilled oil or liquids, or hidden curbs. Parking lots that are poorly lit can also contribute to slip, trip and fall accidents.
- Acts of violence – Acts of violence often occur in parking lots with inadequate lighting and lack of security cameras and security personnel. These often include fights, robberies, random acts of violence and sexual assaults.
Who is responsible for parking lot injuries?
The following parties can be held accountable for causing parking lot injuries or failing to prevent them:
- A motorist who causes a collision or hits a pedestrian can be held accountable. The insurance company that represents the at-fault driver is responsible for paying for crash-related damages. Pursuing a successful car or pedestrian accident claim would require the help of an experienced attorney.
- The property or business owner can be held accountable if you were injured in a slip, trip and fall accident or you were violently assaulted. Property or business owners are responsible for ensuring that walking areas are clear of defects and debris. In addition, they are responsible for providing adequate security, lighting and surveillance cameras.
- A local, state or federal government entity can be held accountable if you were injured on government property. Pursuing damages from a government entity is often difficult. It’s important that you consult with an experienced attorney to find out what your legal options are.
Contact our Walnut Creek attorneys if you were injured in a parking lot
The attorneys at Clancy & Diaz have repeatedly seen how someone’s life can be turned upside down by negligent or reckless behavior in parking lots. If you were injured, you may not be fully aware of the rights available to you or what course of action you should take.
Our attorneys will launch a thorough investigation into the incident that led to your injury. We'll gather the facts needed to help you build a strong case and maximize your compensation. To learn more about your legal options, contact us and schedule your free case evaluation.